View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW M5
Thanks. The car is Silver outside and black interior. It was one owner, garaged at home and at work (the guy owned his own machine shop in a warehouse and just drove it in.) Still smells like a new car which is wild. The records all checked out; the last major service was in March when --after much headache, I got the records, it turned out that the owner had replaced all the belts, the head gaskets, and some other stuff for about 5k total. When the invoice was faxed to him (they wouldn't fax it to me and it was not on carfax) he tried to back out of the deal saying he had too much money in the car. Well, after gently reminding him of contract principles I got the car. I took it to the BMW shop locally to have the seat rail blocks removed (why are those there? I'm 6'3" and a seat that won't go back all the way is just no good at all) and was told that the rear control arms were shot and that the power steering hoses were leaking. So, I got those replaced at a non-bmw shop (German Auto in Alameda -- great work by real live German mechanics) at about 60% of the dealer cost -- the control arms were actually ok but the rubber had torn. There was no play in them but I replaced them anyway. So, I am out about another $1200 since purchase but the records are all good, tires are good, brakes work and the car is, really, in lots of ways like new. The little stickies on the window that I think are designed to be removed are there; the "Achtung" sticker in front of the shift lever re: passenger side airbag is right there, and the dealer's window sticker was in with the manuals.

I have never driven such a great car. I am a fan of Top Gear and that show ranked the 2002-2003 M% as either the best or one the very best cars ever built. I can see why.

I have found a local shop that sells CREE LED's as, I think, xenon replacements to make the Angel Eyes glow white instead of yellow. I think that will be an upgrade along with a Dice media Bridge to listen to the ipod with.

Only had the car two 3 weeks but have received several "nice car"s. For a 10 year old car you just have to tip your hat to BMW and Mr. van Hooydonk (sp.?). The Bangle's, to be honest, leave me cold.

Cheers.