View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
Had the drivers' door not latch several times over 9 months, but then not again. I think the mechanism may get misaligned IF you press the lock or unlock buttons on the door handle accidentally while closing the door. I believe that is what I did and the door simply popped back open. I unlocked it using the inside dash button and it closed normally and pulled itself snug. One more occasion of the same thing several months later and I blame myself for doing the same thing, grabbing the entire handle while closing the door and confusing the mechanism. It seems all too easy to slightly pull the handle outward while unlocking it with the strip and pushing the door away from you to close, all in one motion.

I blame that on the frameless doors, as with the old framed glass, we simply gave the frame a shove and that was it. I think most of us are too conditioned to shove the glass, due to potential damage or breakage, and pushing at the beltline just doesn't seem natural if the window isn't down, or you're not in convertible!