View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
Oh really? How did Boswell (the Scot) ever tolerate Johnson's English arrogance towards all things Scottish? As my roots are from the Outer Hebrides and Nova Scotia, perhaps I should be suspicious of DSX? Will he accept my donation of freshly made haggis to the next CtoC?
DSX trivia for you: Senior term paper in English Literature- "Conversations of Johnson and Boswell at the Cheshire Cheese". Yep, I wrote an entire paper of made up chatter between these two, and among their contemporaries, while knocking back ale or meade at their local. Naturally a lot of the banter concerned the Scots or Scotland.
Some of my favorites (actual quotes from Boswell's "Life of Johnson").

"Much may be made of a Scotchman, if he be caught young."

"The noblest prospect which a Scotchman ever sees, is the high road that leads him to England!"

Boswell: "Sometimes I have been in the humour of wishing to retire to a desart." Johnson: "Sir, you have desart enough in Scotland."

Odd isn't it, that the man who invented the dictionary didn't tell his friend how to spell desert?

The motto of Scotland is "Nemo me impune lacessit" which means "At Least We Are Not Wales".
As for the haggis, you first...
(I now expect to be pilloried by both you and ///M-Rated whose roots I suspect are also in Scotland. Otherwise the skirt with the tartan print he was photographed wearing has a far more um... diverse meaning than I had imagined.)