View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
DSX trivia for you: Senior term paper in English Literature- "Conversations of Johnson and Boswell at the Cheshire Cheese". Yep, I wrote an entire paper of made up chatter between these two, and among their contemporaries, while knocking back ale or meade at their local. Naturally a lot of the banter concerned the Scots or Scotland.
Some of my favorites (actual quotes from Boswell's "Life of Johnson").

"Much may be made of a Scotchman, if he be caught young."

"The noblest prospect which a Scotchman ever sees, is the high road that leads him to England!"

Boswell: "Sometimes I have been in the humour of wishing to retire to a desart." Johnson: "Sir, you have desart enough in Scotland."

Odd isn't it, that the man who invented the dictionary didn't tell his friend how to spell desert?

The motto of Scotland is "Nemo me impune lacessit" which means "At Least We Are Not Wales".
As for the haggis, you first...
(I now expect to be pilloried by both you and ///M-Rated whose roots I suspect are also in Scotland. Otherwise the skirt with the tartan print he was photographed wearing has a far more um... diverse meaning than I had imagined.)
Since you are such an admirer, you may purchase a fine reproduction of Johnson''s dictionary for a reasonable price here:
http://www.foliosociety.com/book/JOD...n-s-dictionary
or try your luck at an auction house for an original. Christie's recently sold one for 130,000 BPS.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA