Thread: Eeeewww!
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 and 1999 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_n00b13 View Post
Actually, despite my appreciation for people who use the recommended fuel in their cars, higher octane burns at a *lower* temperature than lower octane. Additionally, "proper" high-octane gas (i.e. gas that isn't ethanol blended to achieve the octane rating) gets there with higher levels of aromatic compounds that will increase carbon build-up if the car isn't built for it.and whether or not our cars are is up for debate, but they're not super-high compression engines.
Just got back from dropping off my camshaft raceways and caps at the shop, and this is almost exactly what the owner told me word for word. He said that regardless of the octane ratings, the lower octane fuels produce more carbon which coats everything and.... this is important.... clogs the tiny passageways and sensors in the emissions sensors. Said that BMW engines were not built to withstand long time use of low octane "cheaper" fuel.

Either way, I'm gonna stop being cheap and start using higher grades of gasoline. For a 10 gal fillup, what am I saving by using 87? Maybe $2.50? $3.00? About $12-15.00/month? Is it worth it?

BTW, this old guy who does work for the dealer is a BMW schooled tech. Now, I know how we all feel about them, but either way..... I'm sure that using a better cleaner fuel will not hurt me.

Gotta find a Mobile station around here.

Last edited by jarhed1964; 11-23-2011 at 11:47 AM.