Thread: Eeeewww!
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 05:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 &99 528i, 05 e60 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Over the years, I've read the entire canonical gasoline FAQ perhaps only a half-dozen times... and, well, I don't remember anything of the sort being said about that being any part of the difference between two fuels of differing octane ratings.

Still, your advisor is welcome to preach what he wants to whomever will believe - just as a religious mechanic is welcome to proselytize any particular religion to whomever will listen.

I'm not going to argue any further the point in this thread as you could read the gasoline FAQ yourself if you wanted to.

There's an entire thread devoted to that question over here:
- What are you actually saving/losing by using 87 vs 91 octane AKI (1)

The net cost savings is somewhere around a thousand dollars per hundred thousand miles - which is or isn't a lot depending on your perspective - but - it gets complicated because there are plenty of unknown factors - but that's all in the thread ... so there's no need to hash it out further here.

Tell ya what... my "advisor" has been pulling apart BMW engines for over 30 years, I would imagine he would have a pretty good idea what the results of different types of gasoline are on BMW engines. This thread was NOT started to rehash the ridiculous argument about 87 vs higher octane gas. If you would like to have that discussion, please take it to your octane thread. I have no intention of putting 87 octane in my BMW's anymore. If you choose to do so, that is your problem. I am not going to allow this thread to be hijacked like all the rest.

Tell ya what.... if you feel you know more about the effects of gasoline on BMW Engines, please give this man a call at his shop. I'm sure he'd be glad to discuss it with you.

Raymond Sharpe
President
Raymonds Auto Machine Service, Inc.
2923 Washburn, Ave.
Charlotte, NC 28205
704-376-1912

Or, maybe you want to call the BMW Dealer and tell them about the things Raymond has been saying about BMW engines, since he does their engine work:

Hendrick BMW
6950 E. Independence Blvd
Charlotte, NC 28227
(866) 455-2752

Good to go? Are we done with this? Thanks.

Last edited by jarhed1964; 11-24-2011 at 05:29 AM.