Made a little headway yesterday, scrubbed out three of the six cylinders. It's not easy to do holding a vac and the drill with the wire brush at the same time while trying not to strip the tape off of the oil and coolant holes that I plugged up to keep grit from dropping into.
Oil is already drained but I think I'm going to pour at least one quart into the top of the head when I get it back to clean up any errant dust I created out of the oil passages when I get it back on.
CCV ordered (OEM), new vac hoses and coolant temp sensor to be picked up tomorrow, cut to fit, and staged. Going to scrub the intake manifold real good and try to get any leftover oil out of the inside of it.
Should hear from the shop either tomorrow or Monday about whether or not they found any cracks. He inspected it good when I took it in and found no obvious signs of cracks, but still getting the pressure test done. I might have him look at one of the screw holes for the t-stat housing because I think the lower one may be partially stripped.
I'll be inspecting the camshafts with a bright LED light tomorrow morning to check for signs of wear. Remind me to tell the story of a Chevy cam I didn't inspect years ago and the resulting catastrophic failure 10 miles down the road after the rebuild (it was cracked).
Last edited by jarhed1964; 11-24-2011 at 11:35 AM.