View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: '12 X5 SAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAN_CT View Post
Yes, it happens only to the M sport package. Just look at the links that I have posted here. This problem starts right away and it's very noticeable at 500 miles or less if you drive in the North East. After 2000-3000 miles wheel arches, rocker panels, etc. have to be repainted. Even BMW of NA has acknowledged the fact that there is a problem. That is how they came up with the stone guard kit with 3m film. However, they don't install it at the factory. It looks like most dealers don't want to install if for free but all of them repaint the car and install this kit after the damage is already done. It doesn't make sense to me.
I just picked up the same vehicle and had 3M Ventureshield applied to the above noted areas. The wider fender flares on the 3.5 MSport (painted, in this case) are susceptible to chipping from debris thrown off the front tires (a small area behind rear tires is also vulnerable); particularly if you kept the 20s and didn't downsize. It makes sense that more debris on the road (like winter sand/salt application) will accelerate this issue. For those not familiar, we're not talking about typical debris chips on the front, hood and mirrors. Photos that I've seen show something resembling sand blasting...which I suppose is exactly what is occurring. To ARD's point this is an expected side effect of this design. On the flip side one might ask why doesn't BMW remedy this issue if it is 'expected'? Either way, I wasn't waiting for someone else to fix the issue. Good luck.