View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 01:16 AM
twitchit

Mein Auto: 318ic
Ok so I learned a valuable lesson. Use only OEM stuff when it comes to cooling. I bought a radiator new from a wholesaler (not OEM quality) and my fan would not kick on no matter how hot the car got at idle. I thought it was my fan. So I checked it out and it was fine. Then I thought it was my wiring. It turned out to be working fine as well. Naturally I thought it must be the temp switch by process of Elimination. After a few weeks of scratching my head I finally got the right switch. That didn't fix the problem either! So I put the old rad in again because it was still functional although the PO fast welded the tank for some reson. What do you know the fan kicked on the moment the temp gauge moved a hair above normal. Turnes out the new rad had a dead spot on the top half where the switch screws into the rad. For a few extra bucks I could have had a Behr sent straight to my door. I hope my daughter didn't blow the head gasket when it overheated on her. Sub standard parts piss me off!