View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 11:18 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
For the cross linked record, this information today may help someone in the future:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > Driver's Seat Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfChampion View Post
I found a really great solution for broken plastic parts on my BMW. I use PVC primer and then cement the pieces together. It works much better than epoxy or super glue. The primer (mostly acetone) softens the plastic to make a much stronger bond than any glue alone (even better than roughing the joint by sanding). This PVC primer and cement (two different cans) are commonly found at any hardware store.
The seat adjust switch on the driver's side of my 2002 530i was broken. You know that little black post which holds the seat adjust knob? I removed the whole black box (thanks to other posts which show how to remove the seat adjust switch), disassembled the unit to access the other half of the post. Once I had both pieces in my hand I placed them on a paper napkin, primed the broken joint then glued. I took care to wipe off the excess glue the squeezed out of the joint then set on wax paper to dry. Note: It is critical not to rush the drying process. You should let set at room temperature for ~ 60 minutes. When done, I couldn't see any evidence of the break. I used a #2 pencil to rub graphite on the friction surfaces where the post moves and reassembled. Note: I used this same PVC primer (blue) and cement (clear) to repair the plastic molding I broke trying to remove the seat adjust switch. All these repairs are very strong, simple and look like new.