View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: 328i E36
Lightbulb New E36 Owner - Car Summary & Tips Request

Hello,

A few months ago, I acquired a 1997 328i Std. Coupe. This is my first Bimmer, and to be honest, it never crossed my mind to purchase this car, however I got very lucky with the deal and didn't think twice to make it mine... well yes, but my Uncle & Father made me change my mind.

I purchased the car from a very good friend of my Father. This guy is very "special" and meticulous in every aspect of his life, specially his cars. For this reason it was a guarantee that I was purchasing a car in excellent conditions. Best decision ever made

I purchased it with 108K km (67K miles) and now it's currently with 112K km (69.5K miles). I have the intention to make every preventive/corrective maintenance needed, and have my car sharp as new. However your advice and experience is greatly appreciated as I don't have deep pockets and would like to avoid spending unnecessary or at least too early.

Is there a way to pull the maintenance history for the car? Local Dealer or Global Database?

I have the following BMW services (at least recorded in the Service Manual):

1.- 02/09/1999 -> (12K miles) Oil Service
2.- 08/17/2000 -> (22.5K miles) Inspection 1
3.- 06/11/2002 -> (35K miles) Oil Service
4.- 07/17/2006 -> (55.5K miles) Inspection 1 / Brake Liquid

Looking at the above (only) 4 services, then it doesn't make any sense what wrote about my father's friend LOL... but really, car is, looks and drives as new. Soon I will upload & share some pictures.

What do you recommend me to do next or think is missing for maintenance considering the current mileage and the listed services? I have made the following progress so far, I'm a DIY guy:

Changed:

- Manual Transmission Oil
- Coolant
- 3 Hoses that plug to the Radiator
- Radiator Vent Screw
- Belt Tensioner
- Both V-Belts
- K&N Air Filter (Cleaned)
- Spark Plugs

On The Way (Just Ordered):

- New Brake Rotors, Pads & Sensors
- Camshaft Sensor & O-Ring