View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry9870 View Post

Hey There

Ok,,ive narrowed it down to three main cause which are all connected to your issue, now the main point to consider here is that your gearbox components will require to be replaced and not the gearbox itself, any company that tells you the transmission has failed doesnt know abouth the BMW X5 gearbox, as all they will do is refurb the stator and bull ring and install a new one way clutch and or stator and torque convertor.

Now from your description my guess without seeing the car is that the one way clutch and stator is at fault, basically the stator's job is to redirect the fluid returning from the torque converter in an opposite direction, now if this does not happen then a mix up of gears occurs, basically you might have a build up of trans fluid from the turbine part of the torque converter which the stator is suppose to redirect,,now in common issues the stator fails, thus leads to one way clutch failure and the torque converter spins and spins until it can find engagement to drive forward, so in theory your one way clutch and stator need to be checked out along with new trans fluid, a cost for a one way clutch and sator kit is roughly 700, to take the gearbox out is 4 hours, to refit the parts is 2 hours, then refit the gearbox, im pretty positive that this is what is causing your issue,,for a garage to charge you for this work,,,,id pay no more than 1600,and your car will drive like a dream.

Hope this is of help to you,,,,,,,

Regards

Gerry

Thank you so much, I know it's not easy to say what's wrong with a car without seeing/driving it. I left my car at the garage yesterday and they promised me to check alle the possibilities of what's wrong instead of making a a hasty (and very expensive) decision to change the gearbox. Monday I'll hear what they have to say and I'll keep you posted.