View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 750 Li
I have a little different take on this. I would always order the factory painted part.

First, no one can ever reproduce a factory paint job. BMW even admits this when they fix cars at their VPC. I have personal experience with this. The technology that the factory uses to paint a car just can't be replicated by a local dealer.

The bumper color is always going to be off a little from the body color because they are different surfaces and therefore reflect the light differently. Thus, even a perfect match will look slightly different in different lighting conditions.

That being said, I don't think you will notice the color difference from the factory even if it is there. I use an incredible body shop where I live and they do a great job in matching colors however I would still go with the factory if I had that opportunity.

Colors from local body shops that "match" factory colors do not come that way. They are mixed. I think this is minimized at the factory. They do it every single day, thousands of times and probably by very sophisticated computers.

Also, local body shops use different clear coats. They claim they are the same as the factory but they are not. Depending on type of clear coat, the amount of clear coat, the angle is was sprayed, etc. even a perfectly matched color can seem off. These problems don't exist with the factory painted bumper.

Given the age of his car and how it has been garaged I am assuming there is little to no fading.

Just my opinion from my experiences. Good luck.

2010 750 Li |Citrin Black|Amaro Brown Leather|IndividualComposition|Piano Black Wood Trim|

2012 MB Designo S 550

Last edited by LovinM6; 12-04-2011 at 09:21 AM.