View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Terri,

Yes, your car's battery really is in the trunk (part of the BMW 50/50 weight distribution), but it is hidden under/behind the interior liner. What is in the front is just a set of hookups or jumperpoints. I have an '09 cabrio that doesn't get a lot of road time. It's a daily driver but it only takes me 15 or so minutes to get to and from work. However, we really do our best to take it out on the weekends and run it. In 18 months of ownership I've not had any battery issues. When we go out of town I lock the car to insure it has gone to sleep. If you live in a condo and don't have a private garage I cannot imagine why your car is behaving so badly unless it really never is driven for more than 5 minutes at a time. Pull out your owner's manual. It will show you the true location of your battery - not just the "jump points" under the hood.

Good luck but I think your car is just begging to be driven more-- much more.
This has been my experience too. Given the recommended driving patterns suggested by BMW I am a battery abuser. My 2006 330xi saw a total of 3,000 miles over the 18 months I owned it. Half of which were a trip to North Dakota. Much of the time it sat in my garage, often not being started / driven for months at a time. And the times I did drive it were primarily short trips. I did replace the battery but I suspect that was due to it being an original battery who's time had come. Other than that I had no issues with the battery in this vehicle.

The same can be said of my 1999 328i which saw a lot of garage time too. In the eleven years I owned it I replaced the battery once...after about six years. Granted the 328i didn't have nearly the electronics of the E9x vehicles.

Then there's the X5...my 2001 received the bulk of my driving but much of it around town. I did replace the battery in it but again it could have been time for a new battery (it did have 108K miles when I bought it). This vehicle sat outside and experienced cold weather (-20 degrees one day) and kept on trucking.

It's still too early for me to comment about my new X5 and battery life. I've only had it sightly more than a month but it sees daily six mile commutes to the office.

In the end I don't do the type of driving BMW recommends to keep the battery well maintained and I haven't had the battery issues I've read about here. This is not to say there isn't a problem...more curious as to why I haven't experienced the problem.