View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by terri_atl View Post
Sunny: I drove alot more on weekends (a mix of highways and city roads) since the Nov 1 diagnosis. But exactly one month later, that message popped up once. The part that I don't understand is I drove far lesser before the diagnosis, and the message only showed up 7+ mths later. I drove alot more and it showed up one mth later after getting a full charge at the service center.
This, to me, is a classic sign the battery needs to be replaced. If, after extended periods of driving, you continue to receive a low battery warning then the battery is unable to adequately hold a charge. My recommendation would be:
  • Buy (or borrow) a battery charger and perform your own charge. Unless the dealer will perform another complimentary charge there's no need to pay them for it when you can buy a decent charger for around $50.00. You don't need anything fancy. Assuming the battery is good it will bring it to a known state (i.e. fully charged).
  • Once charged continue driving the vehicle for extended periods on the weekends. If the battery is good doing so should allow the battery to recover from the discharge that resulted from the short trips during the week.
  • If the problem recurs in a short period of time (a week or so) then replace the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terri_atl View Post
Someone told me even though battery is not under warranty but if it gives way within a year, the manufactuer, ie BMW may replace it. You heard about this before? I am going to continue monitor the battery situation, and purely run it on highways on weekends. If it shows up again within 1-2 mths, I will need to schedule another appt. But I still hope to find a solution to help me maintain it.
I suppose it depends on the dealer. If they feel the battery has been abused, as they would claim with short distance driving, they're under no obligation to replace it under warranty. However if you can build the case the battery is defective then they should warranty it.