View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebmw View Post
Me again, I found out something, it happened again while I was in reg auto, it was running nice till about to stop and then u go, that when it always happen, and when it happens, whatever u put s mode or manual, the first gear will rev high but slow motion, then engages with a clunk for 1st gear, and as long as u start from standstill, it won't happen, except rolling then gas in reg aut mode, but it will never happen in s mode or manual, unless u were in reg mode then when it happens, no matter what mode u put iT in while moving, it won't reset till u u release ur foot off the gas pedal till it engages with a clunk depending on how hard u were on the pedal, but again it won't happen if u started on s mode or manual.hppefuly this will give u a better idea for diagnostics. Regarding the filter change can an Indy mechanic do it or it needs special tools, and how would the mechanic know how much oil to refill if i changed the filter, sorry for troubling u that much Gerry, but I guess u r close to know what is wrong. I tried the 3rd gear in manual mode it is fine.
Thanks a bunch!
Zee
Hi Zee,,no probs with you mailing me,, I WILL DO ALL I CAN TO HELP YOU RESOLVE YOUR ISSUE SO FEEL FREE TO SPK TO ME ANYTIME

High revs are an indication of the pressurisation of oil in the clutch pack failing, in other words the one way clutch is starting to wear, the clunk noise is an indication of early signs when the ratio of gas pedal to gear selection is not met, now that the car has experienced the problem again, i would suspect damage to the one way clutch, the gearbox would still drive a defective clutch, but it would shut down eventually all the gears from1-4 leaving you with gear 5 only, the clunk sound will be more evident after a while on every start / stop, the particle filter is an easy job to do if you are a moderate mechanic, the gearbox filler plug is located at the rear of the gearbox, with the drain plug underneath, the handbook states how many litres you will require, once the gear plug is full a little amount starts to trickle out of the drain hole, this is where you insert a new drain plug with copper washer, having removed the gearbox fro the x5's on numerous occassions, i would examine the clutch area first to see if there is evidence of wear failure, i have never advised any people who have brought the car to me to that the gearbox would need replacing, any person that buys a new tranny box, only gets one that is cleaned up and fitted along with a new torque convertor and clutch,the gears inside the box are not normally a common part to wearr and fail.

Cheers

Gerry