Thread: 328i v 335i
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
This is true. But, one of the most basic reasons I drive BMWs is the silky smooth characteristics on the inline six. Even BMW admits in their own official comments regarding the N20 that all their technology has made it ALMOST as smooth as their inline six.

When Merc capitulated and dropped the inline six, for which they had also been famous, and went to the V6 I knew they had quit being a really serious car company. They are now in it ONLY for the money.

I don't think BMW's faithful core would stand for BMW if they discontinued the inline six for the V6.

I have no doubt the N20 is a great little motor. But, something I noticed after I went from my '96 Infiniti G20, which I bought because it was referred to as a Japanese BMW 318i, is that four cylinder engines have to work a lot harder to match the performance of the inline six to perform the same task. And when driven with the same vigor as an inline six they really don't get fuel mileage that is considerably better than the greater displacement six. I have a feeling if N20 owners drive their N20s in the same way they drove their N5x powered cars the real world mileage numbers may not be as rosy as the EPA numbers.

And that's all I have to say about that.
Have you driven the N20 yet?