Thread: Eeeewww!
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 &99 528i, 05 e60 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by manticore33 View Post
Just wow on the carbon build up!! I had to pull the head on my 944 turbo with a 150k miles and it was no where close to that! I cleaned my piston tops off with carb cleaner, a rag, and a plastic scraper. I do not know if premium gas had an impact or not, but when I cleaned my intercooler last year it was pretty oily from 25 years of air being ran through it. In fact, none of the turbo cars I have had the head off had that much carbon on the piston tops... Of course since I value my FI engines, I only run premium (93 oct and no ethanol).
I remember the days when I used to run Dodge Daytona's/Chrysler Lasers. That POS Chrysler 4-banger that wasn't built to handle a turbo. My God.... you should have SEEN the filth in the turbos I replaced.

I'm actually digging around trying to find ways to clean this mess, especially the heavy stuff. I've always taken parts to the machine shop for ultrasonic and acid baths. I'm going to try some Blaster "LMT". According to a friend of mine, it should soften all that crap pretty quickly and I should be able to scrape it off.

Going to go pickup the lapper and compound tomorrow. Last time I did valves, there were only 12. 24 is going to be a serious PITA.