View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Actually no. Quattro is the best, with xDrive right behind it.

The issue with Acura SHAWD is that I'm worried about the longevity of the AWD system. The rear wheels are overdriven (geared for a higher rotation speed than the front) and the system uses partially engaged rear clutches to normalize the rotation speed. They do that so while turning, the outer wheel can fully engage for the effect of actively increasing yaw. So, I'd be worried about that personally, and I'd make sure that rear differential had its fluid properly maintained by POs.
Quattro is the best according to who? Audi has done a great marketing job with Quattro and they have a lot of people assuming it is the best but I have never seen this verified by an independent source. I have never seen an independent group take the quattro, xdrive, or SHAWD systems and compare them equally against each other. If they did my guess would be that they would all be fairly close to each other. They would all excel at some of the test and fall short in others, but I doubt any of the systems would be significantly superior to the others.