Thread: Eeeewww!
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 &99 528i, 05 e60 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdmac View Post
A rotary cutting tool (grinder with a diamond cutting disk) should do the trick, just be careful not to overheat it. I don't know how Alex did it. A hacksaw could take a while, I'd guess.
Kewl, I think I still have a few cutting disks in my dremel kit, if not I'll grab some. I'm using the stupid overhead spring compressor found at Advanced Auto.

I think I'm going to go pickup a huge c-clamp at Harbor Freight and cut a cheap socket to use for the rest of them.

I was digging around earlier looking at ways to clean the valves, especially the carbon on the exhaust valves. The Blaster LMT didn't soften it really, so I checked out a link from the 540 build where a guy used the wire wheel on his grinder/buffer to clean the carbon off, then polished them down with emory cloth and fiber/paste. I think that is a definite. Don't want carbon building up on them easily again. It'll take a while for 24 valves, but I think if I hit the stems and face with a wire wheel on the dremel, then maybe 1500 grit emory and oil, I should be able to get the stems and faces very smooth and shiny, THEN do the re-seating.

ETA: It's pretty obvious that my compression had to be low because the seat area of the four exhaust valves that I've pulled so far are not only crusty with carbon, but also have an almost concave shape that I can detect with my naked eye. Pretty sad, really. Once this is done and back together, I should pickup a lot of performance when they are seated properly.

Last edited by jarhed1964; 12-08-2011 at 07:53 PM.