View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: E30 M3, 2012 X3
I think we drove everything in the class.....

It finally came down to the Q5 & X3 28.

It is my wifes vehicle and she is replacing her 2004 325Ci (for sale). We drove each vehice 3 times and the last drive prior to making the final decision was back to back. We even brought the Q5 to the BMW dealer and sat them side by side to compare them.

We ordered the X3 and have received a production number but are eagerly awaiting the production schedule and Performance Center Delivery info.... Which I hope will be in the next few days.

The things we noticed between the two that tipped the decision toward the X3 were:

Q5:
Positives
1. Liked the looks better. Seemed to have smoother overall shape without the bluntness of the X3

2. Handling or responsiveness was better on the Q5 which may have been due to the 19" tires vs the 17 on the X3 we test drove.
Negatives
1. No service plan and that would get pricy. It cannot be ignored when shopping as it can be significant when you have Bumper to Bumper coverage! We had this on her 325Ci and it saved us quite a bit.

2. NVH seemed much worse when driving the vehicles over the same stretch of road. Engine noise was dramatically worse and the harshness over "washboard" type of bumps was unsettling.

3. Interior was in our opinion not as refined as the X3.