View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 745i
Quote:
So basically remove the heads clean them all and do a valve job?
Yes. Let me guess......you have blue smoke after a lengthy idle? This adds to the coking of the heads.

Quote:
I also so another post a member stated there is some programming that some shops can do to bypass this check permenatly is that true? Can I send my ECM for programming?
Yes again. But you DO NOT need to send in your ECM. It's done in the vehicle. Apparently it's a DOS program from Germany and takes 2-3 hours to upload to the vehicle at a cost of about 500 dollars. Obviously, legalities of tampering with the Emissions Equip are at play here, so this stuff can be a little, "back door, hush-hush". I'll leave it at that.

Quote:
Also any cleaner I might be able to run to clean the Carbon like SEAFOAM or anything that may help?
Nope! This coking is so hard that a honing tool is required and the passages are very hard to get to. The Seafoam and other snake oil stuff has been done to absolutely no success. Remember that the coking is in the exhaust side of the heads and is not exposed to fuel or intake.

So does your state allow one "readiness indicator not set" and still pass? This could be your way out. It was mine. I bought a Harbor Freight scan tool, reset the SES and waitied until the final readiness indicator (which happens to be the secondary air) was resetting and then inspection. You have about a 3-5 day window untill the SES sets.

Last edited by roadfrog; 12-13-2011 at 03:06 PM.