View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by terri_atl View Post
Hi Sunny! I know. But if my sales guy told me I need to drive at least 200 miles a week on a BMW. Don't you think BMW is not suitable for me?
Possibly if the 200 miles per week number is accurate. However I'm not sure it is. My total weekly commute for work is 65 miles (6.5 miles one way). Add on a few 3 - 4 mile trips and I'm comfortably below 200 miles in a week. Given I haven't (yet) experienced an increased battery discharge warning I'm not sure 200 miles per week is accurate.

The only time I've received a battery warning was in my 2006 330xi which I hardly drove (which was why I ended up getting rid of it a couple of months ago). But the battery was the original so I was not surprised it needed to be replaced. Especially given how infrequently I drove it. The battery was replaced in March of this year and I had no issues with it despite the infrequent use (though I did make a 1,500 mile trip in May).

The only way to tell would be to replace your current battery and see how it holds up (or not). Given the battery continues to discharge despite the increased driving you're doing to keep it properly charged I believe it is bad.