View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by terri_atl View Post
What is an independent BMW shop? You mean an auto shop? I wonder if places like Pepboys can test battery. Oh, someone suggested a digital voltmeter cos I want to test the battery if it is holding the charge. With a digital voltmeter, is the test the same like what you have suggested? I know experts in this forum like to say Indy, what exactly is Indy? I am trying to create a detailed log for the car battery but I am just too swarmed with things to do this week and next. I believe I already hit 100miles just these 3 days (M-W) but my sales person "at least 200 miles" is not encouraging at all.
I would not bother with the voltmeter as to obtain anything useful would require more familiarity with electronics than I suspect you have. You could take it to a place like Pepboys for a load test which would be a better gauge of the battery condition.

However the most telling thing to me is you've been driving the car and the battery continues to become exhausted despite the increased driving you've been doing. This suggests the battery is no longer capable of holding a sufficient charge for any length of time and needs to be replaced. Keep in mind Acoms Razor ("The simplest explanation tends to be the correct one.")