View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 12:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E34/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
You know this because if you uninstall the application from your smartphone and then reinstall it later you will see that all your past messages are still there!
First, the VERY first thing the app asks you is if you want it to sync your contacts or not...if you are worried about it, disable the sync.

Next, Skype can't hold all the info. It would be physically impossible for Skype to hang on to EVERY message from half a BILLION users. Even in their TOS...they state that they only hold messages on THEIR SERVERS as long as/if the law requires. That verbage may have changed since M$ took over...but I am certain it still says something to that effect.

Most Android apps store data on the SD card. It's not surprising that those messages are still there. Just like how you can play games like Drag Racing....uninstall it, reinstall it MONTHS later and still have the levels unlocked...unless you delete the app's corresponding folder (or sometimes the .tmp folder) on the SD, most of the app data will be there if you reinstall. Normally I would install the app and provide the file and folder locations, but I have no interest in installing that 12mb hunk of crap app on my phone...so you will be on your own finding them on the SD.

In the end, if you are so worried (especially after hearing all the BS going around about smartphone security lately) perhaps you should read the TOS's of the apps and services you use more carefully...it IS clearly stated how your information is going to be used in EVERY TOS.