Thread: Eeeewww!
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 06:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 &99 528i, 05 e60 530i
Finishing up valve lapping. Actually lapping is doing a very good job at seating these valves. Not taking very long either.

Waiting for a shipment of small stuff from ECS Tuning, going to pickup my replacement copper nuts for exhaust today. Renting timing tools from a user on one of the forums. Scrubbed out the intake and exhaust ports, chipped away at the carbon, then took a stainless wire brush with the dremel to it. Not polished, but clean. Tough part will be cleaning out the ports thoroughly of any garbage, and making sure the valve guides are completely clean of any grit before I put the valves back in.

Lifters are all cleaned and soaking in Mobil 0-40 synthetic. I literally pulled the plungers out and cleaned the glaze off of them and the inside of the lifter cup. Once that is done and the old oil forced out of the plungers by depressing the check ball, the two part plungers move freely. I put fresh oil back into the cup before pushing the plunger back into it.

Going to lightly sand the springs with 1200 grit, then oil them, then line them all up to make sure they are the same level. Those that aren't and seem permanently compressed will be replaced.

I've not put valve seals on a BMW before but they lock on at the bottom. I think I'll be trying to use a small piece of pipe over them or a socket to press them onto the valve guide until they snap into place. I'll be replacing four valve keepers because one flew away somewhere when I pulled it and I figured I'd get extras in the order from ECS.