Thread: Eeeewww!
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 &99 528i, 05 e60 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by seemyad View Post
You guys and ladies that go to this extent on your engines are freaking awesome! I envy you your ability to do so. You basically have a brand new engine.

I WANT A BRAND NEW ENGINE TOO

HA!!

I wouldn't say a brand new engine, heck, I'd have to replace all of the valves, springs, pistons, rings, crank and bearings, etc... Actually, when you open any engine up, you see things that need to be done. I couldn't sleep at night knowing I put filthy crusty valves back into the engine or old beat up worthless valve seals, etc.... I had to do this job because of necessity: a coolant leak I couldn't pinpoint. Once everything came apart, I identified other things that would have been foolish to do another time. Intake manifold is off, might as well change the CCV, and so on.

On another note, I realized that the red "crust" on the underside of my valve cover was actually CARBON mixed with oil to make it red.

So...... trying to figure out how carbon got under there. I'm thinking the valve seals were so stretched out that they just didn't do the job anymore and exhaust gases went right up there. It was crusty when I took it apart and I thought to myself I need to figure out where it came from. Started cleaning the cover today and have to literally SCRAPE the crust out of there. It's soaking now.

Last edited by jarhed1964; 12-16-2011 at 03:31 PM.