View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011, 05:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanM50 View Post
First, the VERY first thing the app asks you is if you want it to sync your contacts or not...if you are worried about it, disable the sync.

Next, Skype can't hold all the info. It would be physically impossible for Skype to hang on to EVERY message from half a BILLION users. Even in their TOS...they state that they only hold messages on THEIR SERVERS as long as/if the law requires. That verbage may have changed since M$ took over...but I am certain it still says something to that effect.

Most Android apps store data on the SD card. It's not surprising that those messages are still there. Just like how you can play games like Drag Racing....uninstall it, reinstall it MONTHS later and still have the levels unlocked...unless you delete the app's corresponding folder (or sometimes the .tmp folder) on the SD, most of the app data will be there if you reinstall. Normally I would install the app and provide the file and folder locations, but I have no interest in installing that 12mb hunk of crap app on my phone...so you will be on your own finding them on the SD.

In the end, if you are so worried (especially after hearing all the BS going around about smartphone security lately) perhaps you should read the TOS's of the apps and services you use more carefully...it IS clearly stated how your information is going to be used in EVERY TOS.

Correct, was disabled but contact list still went to Skype. Now Facebook will keep asking you to sync contacts on every startup and in settings the only option you have is to set to sync in order for it to stop asking you. Pretty much the same thing. Whether it be the sync option you first see when you log on or the option you see after when you go to settings is exactly the same with the same exact options. There is no such option as to not sync for good. If you choose to not to sync it will keep on popping back up hoping that one day you click on it by accident as the set option is set to sync when the screen first opens up and it will continue to pop up until it has been set to sync.

All these new popular applications these days such as Whatsapp,Facebook,Skype,Viber and the the rest all want to sync all your private contacts in order to pretty much use their application. With apps like Whatsapp you pretty much can't use it unless you accept the contacts sync. The whatsapp application does not allow you to choose what to sync so you pretty much have to not have those contacts in your smartphone in order for them to not sync with their server.

As for the Skype messages, just try sending some text messages and some chat message on the computer and you will see that they will later pop up on your smartphone. If you uninstall the application whether it be on the Iphone or the Android based devices you will see that the chats and messages will reappear on your smartphone so they are being kept on their servers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Face.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	305215  
330 Coupe Sold