Thread: 328i v 335i
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
Not entirely. I'm defining a non-enthusiast as someone who does not distinguish the 3-series as an enthusiasts car first and a luxury car second. To them the 3-series is the compact car in BMW's lineup.
You initially defined a non-enthusiast as one who could not tell, or didn't care the difference between a 3 and a 5, or even a 7.

Now that you have clarified your definition, I would say that since we seem to agree the new 3 is more like the new 5 than ever before, it would be even more difficult for you to explain the difference to those non-enthusiasts.

I will go one step further to say, the new 3 is more like the other competing brands than ever before. When this happens, it becomes less an enthusiast's car.

This may also answer the above question on the steering feel. I have a few other things such as the end of the N/A I6, and larger size.

If all of the above, serve to have the 3 be more like the competitors, then to me it loses it own identity, not entirely of course, only by degrees.

So yes, the improved performance of the new 3 is less valuable to me, than retaining its own identity, differentiating it from the others.

I believe this is what it means by being an enthusiast. If what you like, is the same as what the majority prefers, you cannot call yourself an enthusiast. Just IMHO of course.