Thread: Eeeewww!
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 12:06 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 528-530 Hybrid, Duc. 748
Quote:
Yeah, I wish I still had a garage too. Had a decent one when I lived in CA, but over here in NC I have to put plastic on the floor in the living room, put down a couple small boxes, a thick old towel, then the head on top of it. I've also turned the 1/2 bathroom into a small machine shop.
That reminds of building a small block Chevy in the bedroom closet of the apartment that I lived in while going to tech school. It was no problem until someone saw us carrying the finished engine out the back sliding glass doors, and reported it to the management. We got kicked out the next week, something about Chevy orange overspray on the inside of the closet. The other 3 guys sharing the apartment weren't very happy.

Quote:
I have no idea how I'm going to match them. There are three new ones going in but other than that I have no clue.
I would trying lightly sanding the contact surfaces against 400 grit silicon carbide sandpaper taped to a surface plate or piece of glass. If an 'untouched' depression appears in the lobe contact area I would replace them. You apparently have a lot of knowledge and experience at this sort of thing based on reading this thread, so you probably already know the ramifications of combining 2 dissimilar wear surfaces together under load.

I'm actual surprised that your cam lobes and lifters looked so good. The M54 that I'm rebuilding looked like new inside with no measurable wear anywhere except the cam lobes and lifters. That's the reason I'm putting hotter cams in, since I had to replace the cams and lifters anyway, why not replace them with mild performance cams.

Great thread; I also love it when people take the extra time to post this kind of detailed information. The main reason that I'm going to the trouble of posting all the details of my M54 engine build is so I can give something back to this great community.

"I'm a little rascal on my Little Rascal"
- unknown