Thread: Eeeewww!
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 01:52 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 528-530 Hybrid, Duc. 748
Quote:
Ya know, I thought about that, only using 1200 grit. Almost polishing the surfaces. There have been times that I have mismatched valves, lifters, etc, but I'm lucky enough to have never had a problem resulting.
I've been known to use 400 or 600 on used solid lifter buckets on bike engines when installing new cams. I very fine crosshatch on the lifter face helps a little with oil retention, I've never seen them highly polished from the factory, in fact my new BMW lifters have a distinct radial grinding pattern on them.
Quote:
Oh, as far as me being knowledgeable and experienced, well...... I wouldn't put myself up that high. I've rebuilt a few engines, done plenty of bodywork, even painted a car or two in my time, but I must admit, as many BMW's as I've owned and the work that I've done on them, I'm going to go ahead and consider myself still a newbie. Look around, you'll still see PLENTY of posts from me asking for info.
Don't be so humble, just the fact that you're doing what you're doing, puts you in the five percentile.

"I'm a little rascal on my Little Rascal"
- unknown