View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 05:10 PM
2012 550i x-drive DSB

Mein Auto: 2012 550xi DSB
Quote:
Yes many have (text-to-speech for streetnames), most still can't tell the difference in pronunciation between Louisville, Ky and Louisville, OH.
In an odd bit of irony, I'm not aware of any pronunciation difference between them, I'd pronounce them both the same. I've never lived in either place.

Quote:
How do you pronounce Versailles, KY?
The same way I'd pronounces Versailles, France, which is the same way Microsoft Speech pronounces it. I did a search and see that it's pronounced "ver-sales". Ohh the joy of non-phonetic languages.

This discussion of city-names is a bit off-topic as we're talking about tts for street-names. There is no question TTS is not going to pronounce all street names correctly. The question is whether questionably pronounced street names are better than voice instructions like "turn in 500 feet", I argue they always are, as long as they are intellegible. Others may disagree. I suspect you have to use voice navigation to care.

I'm not holding my breath for spoken streetnames in iDrive. I am glad I ordered the HUD so I can turn off the confusing "turn in 500 feet" instructions and just watch for streetnames on the HUD. Non HUD users are not so fortunate.

No offense taken, we all love our beamers, elements of perfection and flaws alike.

Last edited by davesf; 12-31-2011 at 05:12 PM.