View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Glovebox removal T.I.S.

Don't think we have this anywhere, so for those needing access to the space behind the glovebox,
I have attached the TIS for removing the whole glovebox.
(Applies to M54 engine models, N52 instructions may be different.)

(I have seen other instructions, maybe for other BMW models, telling you to remove 4 screws underneath.
That is the mechanism for allowing the glovebox door to swing open and you don't want to mess with that needlessly.)

For removing the whole glovebox intact, there are 7 cross-head screws to remove.
3 on the underside of the top, 2 facing you on either side, one behind the holding strap and the other behind the plastic device on the other side.
The last 2 are facing you further in, more towards the middle, in the shiny black plastic.
You should be able to just detect the 7 holes in the first attached photo by the daylight coming through them.

I found that it is not necessary to take the light out as instructed.
You can just disconnect at the connector once the box is released.

There is a big white plastic electrical box behind the glovebox, divided into several compartments (2nd. photo).
In my case, only 1 was in use for some sort of relay or module. An X3 with more options may have more things in there.
I managed to stuff a blue Parrot BT module in one of the bigger empty slots, and crammed excess wire runs in other compartments (2nd. attached photo.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00881.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	306711   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00884.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	306712  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf glovebox1.pdf (92.3 KB, 231 views)