View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535i GT; 1976 2002
I have a 2012 non-xdrive 535 GT with Sport Package. My 235 wheels came with Pirelli P Zero tires which made me feel better than getting the Goodyears given what I have read about bubbles.

But I bought the BMW Tire and Wheel insurance anyway because the whole run flat tire concept scares me. I became concerned about the potential inability to repair a tire at all in case of puncture. My understanding is that BMW Assist will not send towing if you have a puncture because you can drive the car. Then, you cannot repair the tire because the repair agency cannot tell how far you drove the tire. Besides, if you are on a trip where are you going to find BMW specific run flats? Hence, a long drive to a dealership. The run flats start to sound like they are a very expensive disposable commodity. On top of that my staggered wheel setup includes 40 aspect ratio rears with smaller cushion with greater risk to wheels.

So for piece of mind I bought the insurance after it was sweetened with a discount.....

I figured the ratio of tire and wheel price vs. 5 years of coverage was worth the risk/reward.