View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post
Maybe I'm the oddball, but I don't typically sit at a stop light with the clutch out and shifter in neutral. With my driving habits it looks like the car would rarely shut off.
I'm the other way round so this would work for me. I have seen discussions on this topic as to what is the "right" way to stop at a traffic light in a manual transmission car. About the only advantage of staying in gear with the clutch depressed is that the car is ready to go as soon as the light turns green. Otherwise, it seems like there is no difference (with respect to for example, clutch wear). I also find it easier on the foot to get into neutral. The main disadvantage I have with my approach is that I sometimes "struggle" to get the car into gear because I don't pay attention to depressing the clutch all the way.