View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 07:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerJohn View Post
Can anyone who's driven a BMW with Auto Start/Stop confirm with certainty whether it uses the starter to restart the engine or if it just fires the appropriate next cylinder and restarts the already warmed up engine that way? I was under the impression they used the 'next cylinder' method, but comments earlier in this thread seem to imply the starter method.
I can't confirm which method it uses to restart the engine since I didn't really get into the technical details of the car. However, I will say that it starts VERY quickly when you goose the gas pedal. I think the delay between complete silence and accelerating was less than the turbo lag I had in my old Saab 900 Turbo... but that's probably not saying much.

Generally I found if I was driving reasonably sedately then the auto start/stop was never an intrusion. It did however mean that I was having to plan ahead if I wanted to drive it harder... something that still sits wrong with me a little. The benefit to me of buying a sports car/sedan is simply the ability to switch personality just by choosing to drive it differently. Having to hit buttons or think about how I'm driving in advance somehow just seems wrong.

So instead of a dynamic personality, I feel the auto start/stop as well as the buttons in the console give the cars more of a "switchable personality". Somehow I feel something has been lost there.
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net