View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 335i Sedan (F30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_330 View Post
I can't confirm which method it uses to restart the engine since I didn't really get into the technical details of the car. However, I will say that it starts VERY quickly when you goose the gas pedal. I think the delay between complete silence and accelerating was less than the turbo lag I had in my old Saab 900 Turbo... but that's probably not saying much.

Generally I found if I was driving reasonably sedately then the auto start/stop was never an intrusion. It did however mean that I was having to plan ahead if I wanted to drive it harder... something that still sits wrong with me a little. The benefit to me of buying a sports car/sedan is simply the ability to switch personality just by choosing to drive it differently. Having to hit buttons or think about how I'm driving in advance somehow just seems wrong.

So instead of a dynamic personality, I feel the auto start/stop as well as the buttons in the console give the cars more of a "switchable personality". Somehow I feel something has been lost there.
Thanks Thumper! That super-quick start is consistent with what I've heard from others. That seems to me that it must be a 'fire next cylinder' start to get it running again that quickly, but I suppose the starter could get a warmed engine running pretty quickly as well.

Regardless, I have my 335i ordered and can hardly wait for my March 1 ED. If I don't like the way the start/stop operates, I'll just grow accustomed to hitting the start button and then immediately hitting the override button next to it. :-)