View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535i GT; 1976 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by stancv View Post
Thanks for all the helpful advice all. My other question from the original post was whether you bought the tire & wheel insurance from BMW (my offer was ~$1150/5yrs). Is it worth it or would I be better off to just buy another set of non-runflats and get a Conti kit?
I don't think you can alleviate the cost of wheel and tire insurance with using regular tires in lieu of run flats. Regular tires temporarily patched with a mobility kit may trigger a replacement tire just like a run flat in the event of a puncture. The tire choice is really driven more by performance and variety preferences much more than economics.

The efficacy of insurance is more driven by your own personal risk tolerance and environmental factors.

If you live in an area where the roads are silky smooth and the roads never freeze then your need of insurance is less. On the other hand if you live in Detroit, whose roads I experienced years ago when my son worked for Ford, you definitely risk your wheels, not just your tires.... His alloys experienced leakage from cracks all the potholes induced.

In that same vein, I have earthquake insurance because of where I live. Most people in the USA would never consider it...

Your call