View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippjd View Post
Texas Instrument's datasheet on this IC shows it as a "SINGLE-ENDED ANALOG-INPUT 16-BIT STEREO ANALOG-TO-DIGITAL CONVERTER", with Pin 1 as the Left input channel and Pin 2 as the Right input channel. Did you try using Pin 2 using a 1uF capacitor to get Stereo sound?

I haven't thoroughly read the datasheet to determine if additional wiring or components would be necessary...

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm1801.pdf
Hi rippjd,

Thats correct the IC is indeed stereo, the IC has a LRCLK which toggles high and low and determines what channel is sampled and sent out as digital.

Pin 2 (right channel) is tied to GND on the board it would be possible to connect the right channel. The problem is the rest of the system is not configured to process any data from the right channel, the processor only accepts data converted from the left channel and puts this data on the MOST bus as left and right (duplicated).

I believe this is because the original tuner module only output multiplexed mono which is both channels in one with another carrier frequency, to convert this back to stereo this would have to be done before its processed by the PCM1801.

Its a shame, stereo would be great! however mono isnt that bad to be honest.