View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Always search the bestlinks first, before posting a new thread!

ADVICE:
Please make your 1st search a simple /keyword click within the bestlinks thread BEFORE posting a new thread!

Note: This fast & efficient technique searches 'only' within that one thread.

QUICK:
It takes about two or three seconds to find the best of the links on any topic!

EFFECTIVE:
You'll know right away if it's a common subject or not - and - if it's common, you'll know exactly what everyone else knows & says about that subject. Better yet, if it's not a common subject, you'll know that too (by the dearth of links).

FOCUSED:
If, after reading the best links found, you still need help, you can read focus your followup post on your variant in that existing well-attended thread.

Besides having subscribers, these focus threads generally have plenty of pictures and cross references. Many of the odd-ball whacko ideas & misconceptions have already been culled out by sheer numbers of eyes viewing these threads (many have over fifty thousand viewers, and some have over one hundred thousand viewers!).

INCREMENTALISM:
In practice, even if the quoted links aren't 'the best' (at first), with inevitable additional cross-threading, picture posts, & thousands upon thousands of visitors, these links tend to become, over time, a one-stop-shopping resource!

SIMPLE:
The 'trick' I use in Firefox to instantly find the best of the links is: /keyword (F3).

That is, I simply press /keyword in that bestlinks thread; and then I repeatedly press the "F3" button to move forward to successive matches ("shift F3" to move backward).

Use "control F keyword" in Internet Explorer.
Use "command F keyword" on the Macintosh.
Linux is the same as Windows.

EXAMPLES:
  • /cooling system overhaul (F3)
  • /secondary air pump (F3) <== abbreviations also work (e.g, SAS, SAP, etc.)
  • /headlight adjusters (F3)
  • /window regulator (F3)
  • /replacing shocks (F3)
  • /power steering (F3)
  • /spark plug diy (F3)
  • /fan clutch nut (F3)
  • /diamond key (F3)
  • /vacuum leak (F3)
  • /white smoke (F3)
  • /overheating (F3)
  • /trunk lock (F3)
  • /motor oil (F3)
  • /homelink (F3)
  • /abs diy (F3)
  • /wheels (F3)
  • /brakes (F3)
  • /misfire (F3)
  • /seats (F3)
  • /giubo (F3) <== various spellings work (e.g., guibo, gweebo, etc.)
  • /fluids (F3)
  • /tires (F3)
  • /disa (F3) <== the /search is case insensitive (e.g., DISA, disa, DiSa, etc.)
  • /inpa (F3) <== finding INPA also finds Carsoft, GT1/DIS, EDIABAS, Peake, etc.)
  • /fuse (F3)
  • /mpg (F3)
  • /.pdf (F3) <== finds scores of the best PDF files ever posted to the forum!
  • /gdo (F3)
  • /ccv (F3) <== various nicknames work (e.g., osv, pcv, pvv, cvv, cpv, etc.)
  • /fsu (F3)
  • etc.
SETUP:
In practice, it's best to set your posts-viewed to the maximum allowed so a single search finds all:
  • User CP -> Edit Options -> Number of Posts to Show Per Page -> 80 -> Save Changes
UPDATE:
Note: So that others find this thread more easily, I'll add it to the bestlinks in a keyword-rich sentence of the ilk:

- Hints from the experts for newbies on searching before posting in order to find common E39 information (1)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bestlinks.png
Views:	21866
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	308062  

Last edited by bluebee; 01-14-2012 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Added a visusal screenshot to help make the point.