01-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Seek to understand,^Value
Location: San Jose, California
Join Date: Mar 2008
Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Regarding the "Bimmerfest" search ... Here's an efficient-search technique I often employ:
While most issues have at least one 'canonical' thread listed in the bestlinks or the wiki or the FAQ - each of which has had thousands of eyes on it ... 'some' issues are not (yet) listed in the easily-found locations.
When that happens, what "I" often do next is a ...
Bimmerfest-only E39-only Title-Only search:
- Select "Search->Advanced search"
- Enter your keyword(s), e.g., "giubo"
- Select "Titles Only" (helps focus if there is too much information otherwise found)
- Select "E39 (1997 to 2003)" (again, helps focus)'
- Press "Search Now"
- In Firefox, I right-click on each of the finds, opening each in a separate tab
- Then I skim each of them, killing all which are of little value
- What's left are the threads that I read for information!
- HINT: I use this setting in Firefox to keep the tab-kill [x] button from jumping around!
Optionally, select "Find Threads Started by User" and then type a well-known user's ID such as any of the following who write excellent DIYs & comments:
Optionally, select "Find Posts by User" and then type a well-known user's ID such as any of those below who are known for detailed and accurate posts on a wide variety of subjects:
Note: For the better good, I risked listing logins which inevitably leads to accidentally omitting some; so please PM me for helpful login additions which I can make as edits here! This list is merely to help others (who are new to the forum participants) figure out how to search better.
And, below, I list the firefox settings I use for efficient tab handling when culling out the riffraff from extensive search results:
Last edited by bluebee; 02-03-2012 at 09:18 PM.