View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
Thank you!

If anyone has any information on things such as pistons, porting & polishing, or other extensive modifications to the engine, I'd like to know a ballpark figure of what it cost you and what kind of gains you saw.
When I rebuilt the engine in my first BMW, the only original parts left inside the block were the crank and the rods, everything else was new/upgraded. I had the block align-bored to 3.2 liters, and installed 11.2:1 high-dome forged Mahle pistons, Schrick 3/4 race cam, Alpina oversize valves, port & polish the head, Stahl headers, SuperSprint exhaust. The entire engine was blueprinted & balanced.
My old roommate and I did everything except the machine work.
Running without cats on leaded premium gas, it dyno`d at 273 RWHP, or around a hundred HP more than stock. With the high compression, hot cam and loud exhaust, it had that agressive "ka-chunk-ka-chunk-ka-chunk" hot rod idle and hard-edged exhaust note. It was *fast*...
I had about $5000 into it (that was 1982 dollars....multiply that by about 2 1/2 times to convert it into today`s money)

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....