View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 12:13 PM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
When I rebuilt the engine in my first BMW, the only original parts left inside the block were the crank and the rods, everything else was new/upgraded. I had the block align-bored to 3.2 liters, and installed 11.2:1 high-dome forged Mahle pistons, Schrick 3/4 race cam, Alpina oversize valves, port & polish the head, Stahl headers, SuperSprint exhaust. The entire engine was blueprinted & balanced.
My old roommate and I did everything except the machine work.
Running without cats on leaded premium gas, it dyno`d at 273 RWHP, or around a hundred HP more than stock. With the high compression, hot cam and loud exhaust, it had that agressive "ka-chunk-ka-chunk-ka-chunk" hot rod idle and hard-edged exhaust note. It was *fast*...
I had about $5000 into it (that was 1982 dollars....multiply that by about 2 1/2 times to convert it into today`s money)

A friend of mine who came to our group drive on Saturday had an E30 318i with an S50 motor swap. Of course, he also had upgraded cams, pistons, blah blah blah putting down about 275 at the crank. Considering it weighed a mere 2,500 lbs., that car would scoot.

I almost want to build one myself.