View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i
Sebring Test

“The car is fun as hell to drive,” Ganassi’s Graham Rahal told SPEED.com. “It’s pretty wicked—it clearly has a lot of potential on road courses and has plenty of grip. For sure, the car will be quicker at Sebring. It’s a tough, bumpy place. The car has a lot of room to improve, and the track conditions weren’t ideal. Everyone is in the first stages of figuring the car out, so it’s not like we all know the cars and what makes them tick. That’s gonna take some time.”

“The initial thing that stood out to me was how good the brakes are,” he said of the system supplied by Brembo. “They have a serious amount of grip - by far the best braking system I’ve had on an Indy car. It took a few laps to get used to, but it was just a lot of fun once I got up to speed. In the mid-speed corners and up, the car also has a ton of downforce. That’s something you also feel right away.

"We’re close to the quickest I’ve ever gone in the old car already, and we haven’t done much running, so that says a lot about how much is left to come, I think.”

Like Rahal, Briscoe enjoyed what he found with Team Penske’s DW12 in road course trim, and looks forward to developing the car’s setup.

“It looks like the Honda guys were a little bit faster than us, but we got to get into some changes for the first time—[suspension] geometries, springs and bars, and other setup stuff—and overall, it was a lot of fun,” he said. “It wasn’t always easy to handle the power, either. The turbo's pretty strong. You’d heard a lot negative comments about that, but when the boost comes in on the slow corners, you’re feeding in opposite lock and trying to hold onto the thing. It can catch you out if you aren’t paying attention. It’s challenging, and it’s going to get faster and faster as we keep testing. Overall, I’d say we’re on the right track.”

EJ Viso sampled KV's DW12 for the first time at Sebring, and echoed the comments made by others drivers about being in the early stages of learning what the 2012 car needs to perform.

"There's a bit margin to be improved with the car for the teams, and the drivers also need more seat time, too," he said. "It's a different animal. The turbo makes a big difference when you're driving--the timing, and a lot of that will come down to the engineers to get the RPMs right to [match] the power delivery for the different tracks we'll be at. I think it's the same for everybody."

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...y-sebring-test