View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiac09 View Post

You'd be surprised at how much Lexus and Acura repair bills can be. I know a lot of people whose MDX transmissions went out from 60-75k and who have had some significant bills.
We had an early transmission failure on a Honda (same transmission issue) at 85k, which was a well-known problem. Honda has stepped up to the plate on these things with an extended warranty, and even outside of the extended warranty has been splitting the cost.

Our cost for the new transmission was $0.

Excepting the E46 subframes and E9x fuel pumps -- with the potential for huge class action lawsuit costs -- I haven't heard that BMW (or Porsche with the RMS and IMS failures) even looks out of the dugout too much. Just look at the "frequency of repair" charts. Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus are much more reliable than the Euros. But if I want to cut my curves close, the only choice is something that was at least designed within a couple hundred miles of the Alps.

It's a hobby. I play, I pay...
2008 E91 station wagon 21K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, Dunlop Winter Sports, Cocomats (back to the 1970s!)

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"