View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 04:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 335i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46NJ View Post
Thanks for the quote but there were two points: the equity point and afford to buy point. I'm not sure what your point it. I still find it laughable people think of owning a car like an investment property - i.e., equity. I conceded the point about who can afford to buy...read my posts.

I'm not sure why this is conversation is dragging out.
I agree, a car is a depreciating asset and you are not gaining all that much by hanging onto a car forever, unless you don't drive all that much and the car doesn't suffer much wear and tear. After a few car purchases and many miles later, I have decided to lease and purchase extra miles for my long commutes to and from work. This makes way more sense to me. Of course it makes more sense to get something more frugal, but for the amount of time spent in my vehicle, I want it to be sporty, luxurious and comfortable. After 2.5 years of my lease I can lease another or just give up on BMW if my finances change due to unforseen circumstances. I will still have the family minivan.

The lease vs. argument is old and the cons of leasing are somewhat outdated for today's American consumer/commuter. "If you lease you won't own anything"..Oh no!! Making car payments to me is like paying for any staple. If I wanted to earn money on material items, I would purchase jewelery. Otherwise I will pay to play now while I can and be frugal when Im old.

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired

2012 F30 335i sportline (Black Sapphire/Black Leatherette/Black High gloss trim, Technology, Sport Auto, Premium Sound, BMW Apps.)

Last edited by jzcrna; 01-28-2012 at 05:02 AM.