View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Fact:Clean Cars Go Faster

Mein Auto: '11 335i Convertible
+1 for Sergei (*****************) - ordered the code last weekend at 7am, he wrote back immediately saying he was on his way home and would send the FSC within 4 hours, got another email 3 hours later with the code, went out to the car, plugged it in, and the install started right up!

as others have said, you can shut down the process mid-stream and when you start up again it will pick up where you left off (this was a bit of a PITA on the third disc when i had to first insert disc 1 and then insert disc 2 and then insert disc 3 for the process to continue, but that only adds another minute or so to the entire process)

the other thing i noticed is that the progress isn't entirely 'smooth' - i know i saw the percentage go from 47%, 47.1%, 47.2%, 47.3%, 61%, 61.1%, etc.... i suppose its possible i'm now missing a chunk of map somewhere that i may eventually run across, but so far so good, though i'd be curious if anyone else noticed a similar strange progression?

the other thing is (in my case) is that i notice my system required a complete shut down of the car, walk away, let the electronics go to sleep, and then come back and restart before the version displayed correctly as the 2012 maps (initially after the update the version page was blank)

but in general the DIY method was -way- smoother than the experience i had bringing it in for an upgrade at the dealer last year, and much less than 1/2 the price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
I guess Sergei is the real deal then:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=48