View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 11:01 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwpo1 View Post
It is not as difficult as it seems once you get the covers off.
Agreed. The fear is greater than the pain!
- Notes on my cooling system overhaul (pdf)

Quote:
I would recommend using ramps rather than jack stands.
I agree. This thread shows how to make your own:
- How to make your own BMW car ramps (1)

Quote:
The 1 1/4 wrench will not work
Hmmm ... 1 inches is 31.75mm so it 'should' be pretty close. I used a 32mm wrench & counterhold tool, so, I can't say I've verified that though.
- How to make your own BMW cooling system overhaul fan clutch nut & water pump counterhold tools (1) (2)

Quote:
broke the vent spout on the top right hand side of the radiator.
If this is the radiator nipple on the top driver side of the radiator, bear in mind it is a very common break (ask me how I know).

Quote:
I was forced to epoxy it back together until the radiator and hoses arrived.
I'm not sure if you're talking about the nipple but you can remove it and easily replace it.

Here is a picture of me removing mine with a 10mm socket in an 'ideal DIY' (where I took the radiator apart to snap the picture):

Quote:
When removing the fan use the 32mm and a hammer.
While I fully understand the BFH principle, personally, I just used the 'right' tools and my fan clutch nut came off quite easily (putting it back on straight was a whole different story).

Still, the BFH works for very many people (just don't miss!)

Quote:
4. I used a GBM water pump 59.99 at advance auto parts, water pump came with the o-ring. It did not come with a gasket. I used the gasket maker, no problems with it.
As cn90 said, I installed mine sans any sealer since it had a rubber o ring already. Here's a thread on water pumps for others to use:
- What brand of waterpump to buy (1)

Quote:
Belts were simple. Mine has the mechanical tensioner and the belt diagram is on the diy.
The hardest part about the belts is figuring out ahead of time which to buy (mechanical or hydraulic); and learning how the things loosen.

After that, it's a breeze!

This may help others:
- How to tell if you have mechanical or hydraulic belt tensioners (1)

Quote:
I used a CSF radiator 80.00 from auto part warehouse dot com OEM replacement
Interesting. Very interesting. That's dirt cheap for a radiator. Most of us go Nissens or Behr at more than double that price.

Do you have side-by-side pictures of the two radiators?

Quote:
The radiator was very difficult going in and out.
My experience also. On my six-cylinder automatic, it was even harder to get the radiator back in than it was to remove it!

See:
- What's the trick to get the radiator back in on the M52 engine?

Quote:
If you have any thoughts about replacing the radiator and not the hoses, FORGET ABOUT IT!
I replaced my two large hoses, but I left the overflow hose, and the two or three smaller hoses for the auxiliary water pump and all the hoses in the back of the engine. I'm sorry that I did though, because now I worry about them all the time.

I just didn't have a good handle on what hoses a cooling system replacement entailed at the time.

Quote:
Pull the clip up with a pair of needle noses and pull loose.
After thinking about it for a while, I came up with this method of removing the large radiator hose clips:
- How do you safely remove the upper radiator hose with u-pins?

Quote:
The new radiator came with some but I used the original ones.
I did too. While I was wrestling the Nissens radiator into place, one of the Nissens clips broke - so I replaced them with the original (stronger) Behr clips.
- Here's what happened in my cooling system overhaul

Thanks for sharing all these wonderful tidbits with us; I'm sure it will help many others in the future!
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 01-29-2012 at 11:13 PM.