View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW325i
Re: 2011 Recall due to Faulty Ground Wire in Tail Lights, 2002-2005 BMW325i
Does anybody else have an issue with the 8-pin connectors and bulb carriers not being covered by the December 2011 Recall???? Mine were burned out by the faulty ground wire, and I had them replaced in October 2011 by a non-dealer mechanic (using BMW parts) at a cost of $270. BMW replaced the ground wire at no cost, but the Corporate Office in New Jersey will not reimburse me for the other parts damaged by the defective wire. I have found in the "Final Rule" passed by the NHTSA in 2002 that "If it was appropriate to inspect, adjust, repair or replace the original part OR SYSTEM in order to correct a performance problem, the manufacturer MUST reimburse the owner for that work." (Note: emphasis is mine.) I have quoted this law to Customer Relations people at BMW of North America only to be completely blown off. Furthermore, NHTSA regulations state that the Recall Notice MUST contain language about the possibility of reimbursement for repairs prior to the recall, which is not to be found in BMW's December Notice of Recall. I had to write letters and make phone calls asking about reimbursement and was given a complete run-around. One dealer told me I was the first person to ask the question! Thinking of starting a Class Action.....