View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing View Post
Same problem here. I bought the X5 and its sunroof was disabled and I was not told why. Fuse was OK so popped control button out and loom was disconnected, I thought I was the dogs danglies reconnect and try roof, front and rear roofs pop up in vent mode, cool lol, try to shut them and only the front will shut, back stays in vent mode (tilted up). Followed instructions to close the rear mannually, there is a hole in the ramps and was able to put a screw driver into these and move them back so glass sits level with roof. How do you know if you have the roof locked in place? Will carry out sunnys mod at the weekend. The sunblind is back and tried the water hose on the roof, a lot of water leaks into the channels and drains away ok, is this normal? Sorry for so many questions.
If you ask any BMW Mechanic/Tech you will get told this is a common problem.

The funny part is there use to be a web site. Called BMWpartsCounter.com they would allow you to by parts on a individual bases. They disappeared all the sudden can't imagine why. It seems as with all the common things we all will need them. The Fix would cost around 3600.00 for the new roof & up to 1 1/2 days to swap. This would in most states leave you with 5000.00 dollar fix. I can't tell you that it is normal answer to fixing it. Now BMW makes the parts individually, but I can say reading and talking to other BMW owners with Panoramic roofs this does happen a lot. I have been told by a mechanic. The design is made to break. He has had one and from day one at every oil change he wipes down the track and lubes it. He has never had a problem. Not sure if that is the fix, but seems pretty archaic design if you ask me, For BMW to have so many problems when they use to build such a good car is beyond me.